One of the most familiar Phi Delta Theta quotes comes from Founder Robert Morrison who said: “You must guard against elation. Do not look at the past as a thing that should be satisfying; look at it only as something in general that was well done. Thank God for it, but go and do something better.”
Since being introduced in 2010, the goals and objectives set in our strategic plan Phi Delt 2020 have produced incredible results. Examples include a 17% overall increase in membership, a 36% increase in the attendance of expanded educational programs, a 50% increase in the Foundation’s endowment and much more.
While these results are impressive, they are only the beginning. The strategic initiatives of growth, education, support, communication, capacity, and funding require continued and aggressive action in order to make Phi Delta Theta the premiere fraternal leadership development organization in North America by 2020.
Each initiative is measured and discussed at all General Council meetings. The plan’s aggregate results, along with environmental and industry data, is analyzed every two years at the start of each biennium by the General Council and the General Headquarters’ Senior Staff. Adjustments are then made to the plan.
This biennium was no different. During a comprehensive planning session, the Fraternity’s leadership continued their commitment to the previously determined objectives and newly identified needs to be addressed in 2014-2016. Some of the newly identified needs include:
- An effort to improve the Fraternity’s housing stock led by the Fraternity’s newly hired Director of Housing and Facilities
- A commitment to provide education surrounding sexual assault prevention and Title IX to all undergraduate members and volunteers through the Fraternal Health and Safety Initiative
- Member development outcomes that will leverage campus resources and partnerships
- Standardized undergraduate officer certification through PDT U
- Enhanced alumni engagement through traditional methods and technology
Over the next two years, you’ll continue to hear about how Phi Delta Theta is honoring Brother Morrison’s quote by “doing something better.” The Fraternity has great momentum, and we appreciate the effort being made by so many to make Phi Delta Theta the greatest version of itself.