On Saturday, January 27, 2018, Phi Delta Theta officially recolonized the Georgia Beta Colony on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. The colony members were recruited over the course of the fall semester to pick up, improve, and continue the legacy of the long-lived chapter that came before them. The 25 colony members are bright-eyed and excited to start the journey as a full colony of Phi Delta Theta.
Phi Delta Theta was originally founded at Emory University on June 15, 1871. The chapter maintained a presence and impact on Emory’s campus and the greater Atlanta area for 142 years as an active chapter. The new colony members are ready to set sail and bring the three Cardinal Principles of friendship, sound learning, and moral rectitude back to Emory’s campus. With their endeavors in scholarship, community service, and philanthropy, they are already well underway with planning.
The colonization ceremony was led by Colony Advisory Board Chairman Douglas Samuels (Emory ’70) who imparted words of wisdom and stories of Emory in his college years. Also in attendance were several members of the Colony Advisory Board, Georgia Beta Alumni, and Phi Delta Theta’s Colony Development Specialist Tyler Wilson (Georgia Southern ’16). They all took a moment to speak of the positive impact Phi Delta Theta has had on their life and to wish the young men well on their endeavors to re-charter Georgia Beta.
Phi Delta Theta looks forward to watching the wonderful things that will come from this fine group of young men at Emory University. Perseverance, growth, and brotherhood will see the charter of Georgia Beta restored.