The LiveLikeLou Foundation and Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity recently made a three-year, $60,000 pledge to ‘Hope Loves Company’, a free-of-charge regional summer camp program specifically designed for the children and grandchildren of people who live with Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis, or ALS. Also, as Lou Gehrig’s Fraternity and part of our commitment to ‘Leave ALS Better Than We Found It’, we have offered to identify 3 – 5 brothers to volunteer at each of the five camps in 2018. The first camp is coming up on April 20 in Lake Wales, Florida!
Children who have loved ones affected by ALS often must set aside their free time to help their families with care giving. They also often face the social stigma and economic burden that is the result of ALS. Hope Loves Company provides a program for these children which blends structured support, customized curriculum, and all the standard fun of typical summer camps – sailing, skits, swimming, s’mores and more!
The LiveLikeLou Foundation and Phi Delta Theta want to help Hope Loves Company’s mission and regional camps continue to grow and succeed. Through financial and volunteer support, we hope to have an even greater impact on families affected by ALS across the United States.
2018 Hope Loves Company Camps:
- May 18-20 – Camp HLC at Fairview Lake YMCA, NJ
- June 17-23 – Camp HLC at Flat Rock River YMCA, IN
- August 17-19 – Camp HLC at Frank A. Day YMCA, MA
- September 14-16 – Circle F Dude Ranch, Lake Wales, FL
- November 16-18 – Camp HLC at YMCA Camp Campbell, CA
We Need Volunteers!
We are seeking 3-5 volunteers who can dedicate time to prepare for and attend the Hope Loves Company Camp in your region. Phi Delta Theta volunteers can be of any age. Brothers with no direct summer camp experience but a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are welcome to apply. Those with experience in the following areas are especially encouraged to apply:
- Creation of Visual Arts
- Performing Music
- EMT, Grief Counseling or Social Work
- Yoga Instruction
- Skit/Play Coordination
- Boy/Girl Scouts
- Summer Camp Volunteer (name the camp)
- Direct Experience with ALS
Room and meals for the duration of the camp are covered. Candidates will be required to:
- Commit from Friday night through Sunday afternoon
- Participate in a telephone interview with a camp coordinator
- Enroll for a criminal background check paid for by HLC
- Attend two conference calls for policy and procedure overview
- Arrive at camp by Friday afternoon and plan to stay the entire time agreed upon
- Arrange for their own transportation to and from the camps
To show your interest in volunteering for the April 20 – 22 Camp HLC in Lake Wales, Florida, please fill out the form below by April 2, 2018. You can also fill out the form below to show your interest for any of the other four camps. Your candidacy will be sent on to the Hope Loves Company Camp Director for further processing.
Please know that there is limited availability for each camp.