The LiveLikeLou Foundation is committed to supporting Hope Loves Company, a free-of-charge regional camp program specifically designed for the children and grandchildren of people who live with Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis, or ALS. As Lou Gehrig’s Fraternity and part of our commitment to Leave ALS Better Than We Found It, Phi Delta Theta sends brothers to volunteer at these camps, to support these brave kids, and give them an experience they might not otherwise enjoy because of the disease in their family.
Children who have loved ones affected by ALS often must set aside their free time to help their families with care giving. They also often face the social stigma and economic burden that is the result of ALS. The Hope Loves Company camp program blends structured support, customized curriculum, and all the standard fun of typical summer camps – sailing, skits, swimming, s’mores and more!
We Need Volunteers!
We are seeking 5 – 7 volunteers from undergraduates and alumni who can dedicate time to prepare for and attend the Hope Loves Company Camp in your region. Phi Delta Theta volunteers can be of any age. Brothers with no direct summer camp experience but a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are welcome to apply.
Any group of Phi Delts that commits to sending 5+ volunteers to a camp will receive ONWARD long-sleeve shirts from the LiveLikeLou Foundation. Any alumnus who commits to volunteering will also receive a shirt.
2020 Hope Loves Company Camps:
- New Jersey – May 15 – 17, at Fairview Lake YMCA Camp in Stillwater
- Indiana – June 24 – 27 (day camp only) Flat Rock River YMCA Camp in St. Paul
- Massachusetts – August 28 – 30, Camp Emerson in Hinsdale
- Illinois – September 18 – 20, Camp Henry Horner in Ingleside
- Georgia – Dates to be determined – Camp Twin Lakes
- California – October 30 – November 1, Camp Campbell YMCA in Boulder Creek
Those with experience in the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: Creation of Visual Arts, Dance, Performing Music, EMT, Grief Counseling or Social Work, Yoga Instruction, Skit/Play Coordination, Boy/Girl Scouts, Summer Camp Volunteer, Direct Experience with ALS.
Room and meals for the duration of the camp are covered. Candidates will be required to:
- Commit from Friday night through Sunday afternoon
- Participate in a telephone interview with a camp coordinator
- Enroll for a criminal background check paid for by HLC
- Attend two conference calls for policy and procedure overview
- Arrive at camp by Friday afternoon and plan to stay the entire time agreed upon
- Arrange for their own transportation to and from the camps
To show your interest in supporting a 2020 HLC Camp please fill out the form below. Your candidacy will be sent on to the Hope Loves Company Camp Director for further processing.
Please know that there is limited availability for each camp.