The LiveLikeLou Foundation is committed to supporting Hope Loves Company, an organization which provides free-of-charge support specifically designed for the children and grandchildren of people who live with Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis, or ALS. As Lou Gehrig’s Fraternity and part of our commitment to Leave ALS Better Than We Found It, Phi Delta Theta connects brothers to participate as virtual camp counselors throughout the year or to volunteer at regional summer camps, to support these brave kids and give them experiences they might not otherwise enjoy because of the disease in their family.
Children who have loved ones affected by ALS often must set aside their free time to help their families with care giving. They also often face the social stigma and economic burden that is the result of ALS. The Hope Loves Company programs blend structured support, customized curriculum, and all the standard fun of typical summer camps – campfires, sailing, skits, swimming, s’mores and more!
We Need Volunteers!
We are seeking volunteers from undergraduates and alumni who can dedicate time to Hope Loves Company kids. Phi Delta Theta volunteers can be of any age. Brothers with no direct summer camp experience but a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are welcome to apply. Those with experience in the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: Creation of Visual Arts, Dance, Performing Music, EMT, Grief Counseling or Social Work, Yoga Instruction, Skit/Play Coordination, Boy/Girl Scouts, Summer Camp Volunteer, Direct Experience with ALS.
Any Phi Delt who commits to Hope Loves Company will receive an ONWARD long-sleeve shirts from the LiveLikeLou Foundation.
Virtual Camp Counselors:
- Write articles of support, birthday cards or blog posts to children facing ALS in their families
- Mentor teen-aged kids on college plans
- Join a virtual Hiker or Guide chat
- Provide live or recorded performances of story telling, special skills (juggling, gardening, magic tricks), camp chants, musical performances or skits
Regional 2020 Hope Loves Company Summer Camps:
Note: The 2020 dates are all subject to change, and the June and August Camps have been canceled.
- Illinois – September 18 – 20 – Camp Henry Horner in Ingleside
- New Jersey – Oct 9 – 11 – Fairview Lake YMCA Camp in Stillwater
- California – October 30 – November 1 – Camp Campbell YMCA in Boulder Creek
- Georgia – November 20-22 – Camp Twin Lakes at Will-A-Way in Winder
Room and meals for the duration of the camp are covered. Candidates will be required to:
- Commit from Friday night through Sunday afternoon
- Participate in a telephone interview with a camp coordinator
- Enroll for a criminal background check paid for by HLC
- Attend two conference calls for policy and procedure overview
- Arrive at camp by Friday afternoon and plan to stay the entire time agreed upon
- Arrange for their own transportation to and from the camps
To show your interest in supporting a 2020 HLC Regional Summer Camp please fill out the form below. Your candidacy will be sent on to the Hope Loves Company Camp Director for further processing.
Please know that there is limited availability for each camp.