The LiveLikeLou Foundation supports Hope Loves Company, an organization which provides free-of-charge support specifically designed for the children and grandchildren of people who live with Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis, or ALS. As Lou Gehrig’s Fraternity and part of our commitment to Leave ALS Better Than We Found It, Phi Delta Theta connects brothers to participate as virtual camp counselors throughout the year or to volunteer at periodic virtual events for kids, as well as regional summer camps, to give these brave kids experiences they might not otherwise enjoy because of the disease in their family.
Children who have loved ones affected by ALS often must set aside their free time to help their families with care giving. They also often face the social stigma and economic burden that is the result of ALS. The Hope Loves Company programs blend structured support, customized curriculum, and all the standard fun of typical summer camps – campfires, sailing, skits, swimming, s’mores and more!
We Need Volunteers!
We are seeking volunteers from undergraduates and alumni who can dedicate time to Hope Loves Company kids. Phi Delta Theta volunteers can be of any age. Brothers with no direct summer camp experience but a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are welcome to apply. Those with experience in the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: Creation of Visual Arts, Dance, Performing Music, EMT, Grief Counseling or Social Work, Yoga Instruction, Skit/Play Coordination, Boy/Girl Scouts, Summer Camp Volunteer, Direct Experience with ALS.
Any Phi Delt who commits to serve Hope Loves Company will receive an ONWARD long-sleeve shirt from the LiveLikeLou Foundation.
Check out this brief video to learn the benefits and the process of being a Phi Delt volunteer for Hope Loves Company.
Virtual Camp Counselor Options:
- Write articles of support, birthday cards, or blog posts to children facing ALS in their families
- Mentor teen-aged kids on college plans
- Join virtual fireside chats scheduled twice monthly – Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. EST
- Provide live or recorded performances of story-telling, special skills (juggling, gardening, magic tricks), camp chants, musical performances or skits
In-Person Camp Counselor Options:
Prepare for and attend the Hope Loves Company Camp in your region – typically a Friday-Sunday schedule. Serve campers as a Buddy, Activity Leader, or Camp Counselor focused on encouraging, supporting, and guiding campers through the experience. Candidates with a great work ethic and sense of fun with kids are encouraged to apply.
To apply to become a 2021 Hope Loves Company Camp Counselor, please identify your dates of availability and complete the application below.
2021 Hope Loves Company Volunteer Options (In-person/Virtual to be determined):
- May 14-16: Camp Fairview Lake in Stillwater, New Jersey
- June 13-18: Flat Rock River Camp in St. Paul, Indiana (Camp volunteers sleep at near-by hotel or commute from home daily)
- July 16-18: Virtual Camp HLC
- August 20-22: Camp Emerson in Hinsdale, Massachusetts
- September 17-19: Camp Nageela Midwest in Ingleside, Illinois
- October 15-17: Camp Twin Lakes in Winder, Georgia
- November 19-21: Camp Campbell in Boulder Creek, California
Please know that there is limited availability for each camp.