Equipping Chapter Presidents For Success
The success of Phi Delta Theta is strong leadership – leadership based upon our three Cardinal Principles. The Fraternity and the Phi Delta Theta Foundation created the Presidents Leadership Conference (PLC) to develop leadership skills and provide training for each chapter’s newly elected president. The inaugural PLC was held in 2000 and it remains a staple in the Fraternity’s educational programming efforts.
Over three days, PLC participants learn the fundamentals of being a chapter leader, with emphasis on leadership, ethics, managing chapter operations and external relations, risk management, and character. The conference features presentations by the best speakers in the Greek world and breakout team meetings facilitated by volunteer alumni and General Headquarters staff members.
Presidents Leadership Conference Learning Outcomes:
Presidents Leadership Conference participants will:
- Acquire and apply both current and new knowledge in the following areas:
- Mission/Vision creation and execution
- Internal chapter operations
- Risk management information and planning
- External relations and PR techniques
- Hazing prevention practices
- Value a mutually beneficial and healthy relationship with the General Fraternity (GHQ, alumni volunteers, other chapters, etc.)
- Be prepared to demonstrate leadership in guiding their Chapter through goal setting and accomplishment.
The 2020 Presidents Leadership Conference will take place from January 9-12 in St. Louis, Missouri. To see the schedule from last year’s conference, visit this link.
Registration will open October 15, 2019.
To attend the Presidents Leadership Conference you must be:
- A newly elected President or President-elect
- Willing to learn and grow as a leader
- Committed to transferring the Fraternity not only, not less, but greater than it was transmitted to you
- Willing to model leadership in your activities as a Phi Delt man. Modeling leadership includes refraining from the use of alcohol and drugs during the conference.
Registration Deadline: November 16
- Late Registration Fee (After November 15) = $25 – Deducted from the chapter’s travel reimbursement check
- Delegate Change Fee (After December 10) = $25 – Deducted from the chapter’s travel reimbursement check
- Room Upgrade Cost – $150 (Deadline for Room Upgrade – December 10) – Charge will be billed to the chapter’s account at GHQ.
Registration for the Presidents Leadership Conference will be completed through MyPhiDeltaTheta.
PLC participants will arrive at the Renaissance St. Louis Hotel-Airport where they will be during the duration of the conference. Participants are not permitted to leave the property. All participants flying to St. Louis will take a shuttle directly to the hotel.
PLC Attendees: A travel reimbursement check will be provided on the last night of the conference. This check will be based on 8 cents per mile round trip from the hotel to your home chapter (up to $250). In the event a check is lost or misplaced, the replacement check will have the $35 stop payment fee deducted from the reimbursement amount.
Travel By Air
Make airline reservations early, as price will increase as the date approaches.
Airport: All flights should arrive into the St. Louis Airport. (Airport Code: STL)
Notify us: Once you have made your air travel arrangements, please notify General Headquarters of your plans by emailing Renée Crist Lefter.
Free airport shuttle: When you fly to St. Louis, complimentary shuttles will take you from the airport to the hotel and back when you depart. There will not be any reimbursement should you choose to take a taxi to the hotel.
Arrival and Departure Times
You should plan to arrive at the conference before 2:00 p.m. on Thursday of the conference week and plan to leave no earlier than Sunday morning. Registration begins at noon on Thursday with the initial strategic planning session beginning at 2:00 p.m.
Renaissance St. Louis Hotel-Airport
9801 Natural Bridge Road
St. Louis, Missouri 63134
The Fraternity provides one-quarter of a double room (four to a room) for you for Thursday-Sunday. If you wish to have your own bed, you may request an upgrade by contacting Renée Crist Lefter and your chapter will be charged $150. A room upgrade consists of two people per room. The deadline to submit a room upgrade is December 10.
If your travel plans require you to arrive one day early or stay one extra night, you will be responsible for the additional costs of the room. There is no need for you to make hotel reservations unless you plan on arriving a day early or stay an extra day.
Business casual clothing (khakis, polo-style shirts) for the general sessions, team meetings, and free time will be acceptable. Please bring either a t-shirt or sweatshirt with the name of your school. We will ask you to wear this attire on Saturday for special photos. No coat or tie is required for the conferences. Be sure to bring a winter coat as the average high for St. Louis in January is 39°F.
Interested in volunteering to be a faculty member for PLC? As a faculty member, you participate in all sessions with the undergraduates, as well as lead a group of 12-18 undergraduates through the team-meeting curriculum.
Faculty positions are competitive and extremely limited (approximately 18).
Faculty applications will be open on September 20, 2019.
Important Faculty Information
- Please plan to arrive on Thursday of the conference by 1:00 p.m.
- Faculty orientation starts at 2:00 p.m. in the Renaissance Hotel.
- The team-meeting curriculum is sent to you in advance to review it prior to your arrival.
- To book a single room, please email Renée Crist Lefter. You will be responsible for half of the charges.
- Faculty members are expected to refrain from the use of alcohol during the conference.
Peer Mentor Information
Peer Mentors at the Presidents Leadership Conference are individuals who are going through the hiring process to become a Leadership Consultant for Phi Delta Theta. Specifics about your time in St. Louis will come directly from a GHQ staff member.