A 400-Level Leadership Experience
The Shaffer Honors College of Leadership is designed to offer an in-depth exploration into an individual’s leadership style, valuable lessons in constructive disruption and innovation, and an intense focus on effective teams and ethical leadership. Participants of the Honors College will also have a unique opportunity to learn from successful Phi Delt alumni and volunteers.
This stand-alone experience is hosted in conjunction with the Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute in mother Oxford each summer. However, participants in the Honors College program will be attending their own sessions and experience outside of the Kleberg track.
The Honors College takes everything you’ve ever learned about leadership to the next level. It is the pinnacle leadership development experiential opportunity that the Fraternity offers.
The 2018 Shaffer Honors College will be hosted in conjunction with the Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute, and will take place from August 4-7 in Oxford, Ohio. To view this year’s schedule, visit this link.
Registration is now closed. All questions should be sent to email@example.com.
Each Whole Man Scholarship recipient must register for the Honors College in order to complete the requirements for their scholarship.
- Honors College Delegate – Primary delegate for the Shaffer Honors College of Leadership.
- Faculty member – Volunteer assisting with the facilitation of the Phikeia Educator’s College experience.
A chapter representative may register all attending members via their myPhiDeltaTheta dashboard by using the ‘Register Myself and/or Others’ button once the conference has been selected. In addition, each individual is able to register for the Kleberg and the Honors College.
Individuals serving on the Faculty should register online through their myPhiDeltaTheta dashboard. E-mail Renée Crist Lefter with questions or for further information.
Registration Deadline, Changes And Fees
- Regular Registration – March 15 – May 14
- Registrations between May 15 – June 30 = $25 late registration fee.
- Registrations received on or after July 1 = $50 late registration fee.
- Delegate Changes after June 30 = $50 per delegate change fee.
Once you have completed the registration process you will receive confirmation and further instructions via e-mail leading up to the event.
All registration questions should be sent to Renee Crist Lefter at the General Headquarters via e-mail or by phone at (513) 523-6345.
The General Fraternity does not offer travel reimbursements for the Shaffer Honors College of Leadership. However, your chapter may have a Chapter Endowment Fund with the Foundation that will assist you in travel expenses. Delegates from those chapters will learn more about this assistance upon registering on-site at Kleberg.
Furthermore, please check with your chapter leadership to determine what support they can provide as chapters often budget for such expenditures.
Travel By Car
If you will be driving into Oxford, report to Hillcrest Hall on the campus of Miami University.
General Directions to Oxford
U.S. Route 27 and State Route 73 are the main highways to Oxford.
From the northeast: I-70 to U.S. Route 127 south to State Route 73 west
From the northwest: I-70 to U.S. Route 27 south
From the south: I-275 to U.S. Route 27 north
From the southwest: I-74 to I-275 north/east to U.S. Route 27 north
From the east: I-75 to State Route 73 west
Hillcrest Hall is located at 301 Western Drive. You may find exact directions to Hillcrest Hall by using a map program or by visiting the Miami University website. A more detailed campus map also on the Miami University web site may also assist you.
Parking for the residence halls for undergraduate delegates will be available at Cook Field, Bachelor Hall, and Thomson Hall. It is strongly advised that you observe all parking signs and restricted areas to avoid parking tickets. The Fraternity will not reimburse for any parking violations. Parking passes and more information will be available at conference check-in.
Parking for volunteers is located all around Heritage Commons. Please be sure to get your parking pass from conference registration before parking to avoid any parking tickets.
If you receive a parking ticket during your time in Oxford, visit their citations page to pay or appeal the ticket.
Travel By Air
If you plan on flying to the Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute, please follow the simple instructions listed below.
Step One: Travel Dates And Important Information
- ALL FLIGHTS SHOULD ARRIVE AT THE CINCINNATI/NORTHERN KENTUCKY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (CVG).
- Schedule your flight to arrive on Saturday, August 4 by 2:00 p.m.
- Schedule your flight to depart on Tuesday, August 7 anytime in the morning but no later than 3:00 p.m.
- To take advantage of complementary shuttle service, you should book travel ONLY to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG). CVG is located 50 miles from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Complimentary shuttle services will be available from CVG on Saturday, August 4 and back to CVG on Tuesday, August 7.
- Faculty must plan to be in Oxford by 11:00am on Saturday, August 4. If you are flying, please arrive either Friday night or Saturday morning by 9:30 a.m. You can depart on Tuesday morning at any time.
- Peer Mentors must plan to arrive in Oxford on Friday, August 3 by 4:00 p.m, so plan flight arrivals by 2:30pm at the latest. You will depart any time Tuesday morning.
Step Two: Book Your Ticket Online
- Visit a flight aggregation site such as Kayak, Expedia, or Orbitz or an airline-specific website to book your flight.
- Finalize your travel arrangements no later than June 30 to take advantage of the cheapest fares.
- As a reminder, the Fraternity does not offer travel reimbursements for the Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute; therefore, travel costs are the responsibility of the individual attending the event. Ask your chapter if they provide any reimbursement to help defray the travel costs.
Step Three: Let GHQ Know of Your Travel Plans
- Once you have made your air travel arrangements, please notify us of your plans to ensure your seat on the complimentary shuttle. Please email flight itineraries to Renee Crist Lefter.
- Please include as much information as possible including your name, chapter, airline, flight numbers, arrival time, and departure time.
Step Four: Getting to the Airport and Traveling To and From Oxford
- Canadian Phis – Don’t forget your passport!
- Due to increased security at airports, please arrive at least 90 minutes to 2 hours early to ensure you do not miss your flight.
- When you arrive in Cincinnati, proceed to the Delta Airline Baggage Claim area located in Terminal 3. A GHQ representative will be waiting at Carousel 4 to direct you to a shuttle bus to Oxford. Vans will run before and after the buses scheduled (below) starting at 9 a.m., August 4. If you arrive before this time, you can either wait for the shuttle or be responsible for your own transportation to Oxford.
- Saturday, August 4 schedule of shuttle buses to the Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute in Oxford – 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- On Tuesday, August 7 six scheduled bus runs will take the majority of delegates back to the airport. The last bus will depart at 10:30 a.m. If you do not take advantage of these travel arrangements, you will be responsible for your own transportation back to the airport.
- Schedule of shuttle busses to Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport on Tuesday, August 7: 3 a.m., 4:30 a.m., 6:00 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 9:00 a.m., and 10:30 a.m.
- The Fraternity will not provide transportation to and from the Greyhound/Amtrak stations or the Megabus drop off point in Cincinnati.
- Bus times are subject to change.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Renée Crist Lefter at 513-523-6345 for assistance.
The Institute will provide a double room (linens included) for delegates for three nights. Each delegate will be paired with a roommate from another Phi Delt chapter. If travel plans require delegates to arrive one day early, they will be responsible for paying $45 directly to Phi Delta Theta. Lodging for any other extra nights following the Institute, will be delegates’ responsibility at an area hotel.
The Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute is an alcohol-free event. This policy is in effect from the time delegates enter the township of Oxford, until they depart from the conference on Tuesday morning. Delegates who choose to ignore the alcohol-free policy will be sent home and the Chapter will receive a $1,000 fine per delegate who violates the policy.
Delegates are expected to participate in all conference sessions, and attendance will be taken at the beginning of each keynote, education session, and small group meeting.
Other expectations include having a lot of fun, meeting hundreds of other Phis, and learning a lot about PDT, leadership, and yourself.
What To Wear
Casual clothing (polos, khakis, and shorts) for the education sessions, chapter meetings, and “recreation time” will be acceptable.
Workout attire should be packed for the Iron Phi Athletics competition. There will be an Iron Phi 5k during the conference as well.
A t-shirt Swap will be held on one night of the Institute. If you are interested in bringing any T-shirts you would like to exchange with your fellow Phis, there will be time to do so.
Please also bring a t-shirt that has your school name on it for a large group photo.